12 Types of Properties for good quality Bricks | water absorption
Properties for good quality Bricks
The following are the required properties of good bricks, there are twelve types in the list.
- Water absorption
- Let us describe this all types are given above (water absorption).
- Color should be uniform and bright.
- Bricks should have plane faces. They should have sharp and true right-angled corners.
- Normally Bricks are should be of only standard sizes as prescribed by civil codes.
- They should possess a fine, dense, and uniform texture. They are should not possess for crack, damages, loose grit, and also unburnt lime (water absorption).
- When bricks struck with a hammer or with another brick (mostly using this method is very easy for engineers and Quality checkers), it’s should produce a metallic sound.
- The Finger scratching self-test should not produce any impression on the top of the brick.
- The crushing strength test result of brick should not be less than 3.5 N/millimeters2. A field test for strength is that when dropped from a height of 0.9 millimeters – 1.0 millimeters on hard ground, In this test the brick should not break into pieces.
- After immersing the brick in water for 24 hours, water absorption should not be more than 20 percent by weight. For class-I works, this limit is 15 percent.
- Normally building Bricks should not show white patches/cracks when soaked in water test for 24 hours and then that brick allowed to dry in shade. White patches/cracks are due to the presence of the sulfate of calcium, magnesium, and potassium in bricks. The building workers keep the masonry permanently in damp water and wet conditions(water absorption).
- Bricks are should have low thermal conductivity, and heat resistance so that buildings are all built with them is cool in summer and warm in the winter season.
- Their bricks are poor insulators of sound while lightweight(the first quality bricks are lightweight) and hollow bricks also provide good sound insulation.
- The fire resistance of bricks is usually good. because bricks are used to steel columns in construction to also protect them from the fire also.