Requirements of Good Building Stones
- The following requirements of good building stones are. There are ten types in the list of good Building stones.
- Strength(Building stones)
- Specific Gravity
6.Porosity and Absorption(building stones)
- Let us describe all the above types.
- Strength is the stone should be able to resist the load coming on all materials. Ordinarily, this is not of primary concern since all stones are having good strength.
- In the case of the large structure is may be necessary to check the strength.
- Durability is the Stones selected should be capable of resisting adverse effects of natural forces like wind, rain, and heat.
- Hardness is the stone used in floors and pavements should be able to resist abrasive forces caused by the movement of men and materials over them.
- Toughness is Building stones should be tough enough to sustain stresses developed due to vibrations.
- This vibration may be due to the machinery mounted over them or due to the loads moving over them. The stone aggregates are used in the road constructions only.
- The Specific Gravity Heavier variety of stones should be used in the construction of dams, retaining walls, docks, and harbors.
- The specific gravity of good building stone is between 2.4 or 2.8.
Porosity and Absorption
- Porosity and Absorption are Building stone should not be porous. If it is porous rainwater enters the pour and reacts with stone and crumbles it.
- In this type higher altitudes are the freezing of water in pores takes place and it results in the disintegration of the stone.
- The dressing is Giving the required shape to the stone is called dressing. It was should be easy to dress so that the cost of dressing is reduced.
- However, the care should be taken so that, this is not at the cost of the required strength and durability.
- Appearance is one of the stones to be used for face works, where appearance is a primary requirement, its color and ability to receive polish is an important factor.
- Seasoning is the Good stones that should be free from the quarry sap. These Laterite stones should not be used for 6 to 12 months after quarrying.
- They can get rid of quarry sap by the action of nature.
- Cost is an important consideration in selecting building material.
- building sites brings down the cost of transportation and hence the cost of stones comes down.
That was maybe noted that not a single stones are can satisfy all the requirements of good building stones, since one requirement may contradict another.
- Hence it is necessary that the site engineer investigates the properties required for the intended work and selects the stone.