4-Types of bricks used in construction work | bricks
Types of bricks used in construction work
- Bricks are normally by molding good clay, and into a block, which is dried and then burnt in a brick burning tunnel. This is one of the oldest building blocks to replace the natural stone.
- The manufacture of bricks started with hand molding, sun drying, and burning in clamps. A considerable amount of technological development has taken place with better knowledge about to properties of raw materials, better types of machinery, and improved techniques of molding drying, and burning.
- The size of the bricks is 90 mm × 90 mm × 90 mm and 190 mm × 90 mm × 40 mm. With the mortar joints, the size of these brick is taken as 200 × 100 × 100mm and 200 × 100 × 50 mm.
Bricks may be broadly classified as
- Building bricks
- Paving bricks
- Fire brick
- Special brick
Let us describe this all types are given above.
- Building bricks
- These types of brick are used in the building construction of walls.
- These types are vitrified brick is used as paver’s work.
- These bricks are normally made to withstand furnace temperature. The Silica brick belongs to this category.
- These bricks are made to withstand furnace temperature in a brick tunnel. Silica brick belongs to this category.
- These brick are very different from the commonly used in the building work brick with respect to their shape and it’s the purpose for which are they are made.
- There are six types in the list.
- Facing bricks
- Perforated building brick
- Burnt clay hollow brick
- Sewer brick
- Acid-resistant brick.
Specially Shaped Bricks
- This type of Brick of special shapes is manufactured to meet the requirements of different situations.
- These bricks are used in the outer face of the masonry. Once these types of brick are provided, wall plastering is not required in brick walls. These type of standard size of these brick is 190 millimeter × 90 × 90 mm or 190 millimeter × 90millimeter × 40 millimeters.
- These bricks are manufactured with an area of perforation of 30 to 45 percent. These areas of each perforation should not exceed 500 millimeters2.
- The perforation should be uniformly distributed over the surface. They are manufactured in the size 190millimeter × 190millimeter × 90 millimeters and 290millimeter × 90millimeter × 90 millimeters.
Burn’s Clay Hollow Brick
- They are light in weight. They are used in the building construction of partition(example: bathroom walls) walls. They provide good thermal insulation to buildings.
- They are manufactured in the sizes 190millimeters × 190millimeters × 90 millimeters, 290millimeters × 90millimeters × 90 millimeters, and 290millimeters × 140millimeters × 90 millimeters. This type of brick thickness of any shell should be not less than 11 millimeters and that of any web not less than 8 millimeters.
- These types of brick are used in the construction work of sewage lines. They are manufactured from surface clay, fire clay shale, or a combination of these.
- They are manufactured in the sizes 190 millimeters × 90 millimeters × 90 millimeters and 190 millimeters × 90millimeters × 40millimeters. The average strength of these types of bricks should be a minimum of 17.5 N/mm2. The water absorption test result should not be more than 10%(percentage).
- These bricks are used for floorings likely to be subjected to acid attacks, the lining of chambers in chemical plants, the lining of sewers carrying industrial wastes, etc.
- These types of bricks are made of clay or shale of suitable composition with low lime and iron content, flint or sand, and vitrified at high temperature in a ceramic kiln.